Sunday, October 28, 2007

Design Research: ten interiors

A Marble Bathroom
I think this the most beautiful bathroom that I have ever seen. I would absolutely love to have this bathroom in my house. The entire room seems to just glisten in the image. I believe this is because of the reflective marble, shiny silver hardware, the glass shower door, and the accent lighting. I like how the arches are repeated several times through the entire bathroom. I find it aesthetically pleasing that the paint color is found in the marble also. The marble just blends in except for a shiny effect that it gives. I think the white bath tub and the white sink look very good with this cream marble and paint. I think that is the right color choice.
Source: www.architecturaldigest.com


The Perfect Children's Bedroom
I absolutely love this children's bedroom. This is the exact room that I have wanted as a child. These are the exact colors that I would associate with a little girl. This is the cutest set-up for a bed. I am not quite sure if is a bunk bed or the bottom is the bed and the top is a little loft that the child could play in. This room reminds me of something that would be on Trading Spaces: Boys vs. Girls. This appears to be a room that some elaborate designer would design. Not something a normal parent could think up of.

A Fast Food Restaurant Gone Good
I find the transformation of this fast food restaurant into a nicer dining venue to be a great success. This photo taken at night really helps set a mood of a nicer feeling. I would not think that this used to be a fast food restaurant. I like how the flooring matches well with the wood that makes up the booths. A also like how the front legs of the booths are made with the black metal pipes instead of the same wood. I think the sage green of the material of the cushions and the curtains works very well with the lighter colored wood. My absolute favorite thing about this sitting situation is the lighting at each of the booths. The light bulbs at the top of the black poles is very unique but also aesthetically pleasing. I have never seen this done but it looks very cool.
Source: www.metropolismag.com


A Very Modern Kitchen

I absolutely love this kitchen because of the overall design and the color scheme. I think that the dining room in the glass room is a very clever idea because to me it seems like it is a display box. When I think of dining rooms I think of something elegant and somewhat dressed up. This is why I find it interesting that it is displayed through the glass wall. The only thing that I find wrong with the kitchen and with several of the kitchens I have commented on is that I think it best functions in magazines instead of a real working kitchen. I do not think anyone could keep the kitchen clean at all times.
Source: www.wallpaper.com


A Modern Tract Home

I actually am quite fond of this living room mostly because of the color schemes. The whites, grays, and blacks work very well together. One of my favorite aspects is the ceiling to floor white curtains. They just seem to brighten up the room and in a special lighten the darker accent colors. The thing that I do not think looks very good is the railing coming up the stairs. It does not fit in with the color schemes. I think the owner of the house could have just as easily changed the railing out so that a new one could follow the color scheme a little better.
Source: www.dwell.com


The Family Style Kitchen
Personally I do not like a single thing about this design of a kitchen. I do not see how any family could function within this room. There is practically no work triangle and if there is then it can not technically be considered one because the sides of the triangle would be too long. The black wood stove to me seems to be out of place. It looks like someone randomly placed it in the middle of the floor. The only main that thing that I am able to understand and comprehend is the design of table in the image. I can see how it can fit into the particular style of the kitchen, only is really of the suroundings.
Source: www.dwell.com


St. Bartholomew's Church
I personally do not like the arrangement of this church. I have grown up knowing that pews are supposed to be in a church not some futuristic leaning chair. The church itself is very beautiful. It doesnot bother me that in the renovations of the church they changed some of the walls to bring out the dry wall slightly. In my mind I can imagin some darker wood pews preceding down the nave of the church. I just do not understand how these very modern chairs can fit in with the context of the original church itself. They just look out of place.
Source: www.wallpaper.com

Nestle Building
This is the Nestle Chocolate Building in New Mexico. This is definitely not what I would expect a chocolate factory to look like. In fact this is actually the area that visitors would arrive and tour. I think that the room is too white and overwhelming. I think all the different angles of the ceiling and the structure are interesting, unique, and original to this building only. I like the black accents so much that I think a little more could have been added to counter balance all the white. I would love to visit this building sometime.
Source: www.wallpaper.com

A Modern Kitchen

There are aspects about this interior that I like and dislike. The main thing that I like is the dining table that is shaped in a unique "L" shape. The wood that lines the top surface of the table works so well with the white base. The intention was to make the wood appear to be levitating and the white base to blend in with the flooring and walls. This attention to close detail makes the work even better. I have to admit that I do not think that the stainless steel counter tops fit into the rest of the design as well. I would have loved to have seen either a brown color similar to the tabletop or even the same material as the table top on the counter tops. One disadvantage to the white flooring, walls, and cabinets is that after using the facility one time they would all be damaged if caution was not used in the preparation of a meal. Another neat aspect about the table is that when looking at it, like from the angle in the picture, our eyes tend to follow the horizontal piece that looks to be pointing to the glass window and the view which can be seen form the table.
Source: www.wallpaper.com

The Rock Kitchen

When hearing the name Frank Lloyd Wright we automatically think of something amazing and incredibly designed. I do not disagree with this statement except for this one exception. I do not find the rock bulging into the kitchen to be very attractive. This is a kitchen from the Massaro House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The only thing that I really like about this kitchen is the skylights that bring natural light over the work triangle in the kitchen. Possibly if this same incorporation of the rock was used in a different type of dwelling then I think it would be more functional to the design. Maybe this idea could be used in a restaurant or some kind of resort. I can understand the restriction of sticking to a house because of the location, the natural environment, and the topography of the surroundings. I also appreciate the natural look that was being designed with the rock, wood, and natural light.
Source: www.wallpaper.com

No comments: